Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Chicken Enchilada Quesadillas



Lately I have been buying the rotisserie chickens at the grocery store (partly because they are super good/easy but also because they're cheaper than buying a raw whole chicken....backwards I know) and like may of my fellow chicken eaters I have been trying to make some new and exciting recipes.  I love a simple chicken and cheese enchilada so I always have a can of sauce in the pantry.  Lately I've been turning just about everything into some type of a quesadilla so it only seems natural to marry the two together.  For this I use my electric griddle, that's right putting that wedding present to good use (and for more than just pancakes or french toast).  Here's everything I use....


  • approx 1 rotisserie chicken picked apart, skin removed and shredded (see my tip for this later)
  • taco cheese - your favorite brand but I like Crystal Farms
  • 1 of the bigger cans of mild enchilada sauce or 2 smaller ones
  • burrito size flour tortillas
  • small amount of butter just to put on the griddle while cooking
  • and extra ingredients you might want to add such as onions or peppers
After I pick my chicken apart I throw it in my trusted Kitchenaid mixer with the flat blade attached, start it on slow and go up to medium speed for approx 30 seconds and you will have perfectly shredded chicken.  Not if you have cooked frozen chicken simply throw it in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds until it is just warm and toss it in the mixer.  I saw this tip on Pinterest a while back and tried it......I will never, never ever, use a fork to shred chicken.  Serious this works wonders and is good for beef and pork too.  Just a not the meat has to be warm for it to work.  

Now take the chicken and put it in a sauce pot, pour in your sauce and let it simmer for a little bit...usually about 15 minutes.  I store mine in a container and just take out what I need from the fridge.  There meat is done.

Put a small amount of butter on the griddle, about 1/2 tbsp or so and let it melt, place your tortilla on that.  I use 1/4 cup of cheese per a quesadilla and sprinkle it on the entire tortilla.  Then take your meat and put it on just one side, roughly 1/3 cup of the meat but more or less to your liking.  After a few minutes fold over the tortilla to for the quesadilla and flip it one more time during the cooking time until both sides are golden brown.  Feel free to add your other favorite toppings on top of the meat.  

This is my favorite enchilada sauce but feel free to use your sauce of choice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment