Friday, February 15, 2013

"Magic Brands" By Joey Greens



This afternoon I took a trip to our local library and as usual I ended up in the cookbook and home improvement section....note to my husband, if you can't find me look here first.  I came across this book and though I have only thumbed through the sections thus far I have to admit I am very interested.  I also saw that this author has a few other books on the shelves too and I'll be back to check those out on another trip.  In  nutshell the author takes common brand-name products and lists different uses for them.  He also gives a little history on the product.  Now I will admit that there are some things that I already knew but there are a bunch that I have never heard of before.  I'm going to put a list on here of some of the items that I have found in this book so far.  Keep in mind I have not tried any of these yet but bet your money I probably will soon :)


  • Aunt Jemima Original Syrup
    • prolongs the life of a Christmas tree
    • condition hair and prevent split ends
    • revives an ailing house plant (not that I've ever killed a house plant or anything)
  • Canada Dry Club Soda
    • makes pancakes, waffles and matzah balls fluffier 
    • cleans grease from car windows
    • loosens rusty nuts and bolts
  • Chapstick Lip Balm
    • prevents car battery corrosion
    • shine leather shoes
    • prevent hair coloring from dyeing your skin
  • Colgate tooth paste
    • clean piano keys
    • remove crayon from walls
    • remove kool-aid mustaches from children
    • remove tar from skin
  • Dannon Yogurt
    • soothe sunburn pain
    • tighten pores and cleanse skin
  • Endust
    • sweep up dust and dirt with ease
    • prevent water spots and soap scum on shower walls and doors
  • Heinz Vinegar
    • dissolve warts
    • relieve itching
    • remove decals and bumper stickers
    • remove wallpaper
  • Jell-o Gelatin
    • style your hair.......ha?
    • make wine jell-o
  • Lipton Tea Bags
    • deodorize your feet
    • accelerate the germination of grass seeds
    • tenderize meat
  • Morton Salt
    • repel flies
    • remove dandruff
    • keep slugs away
  • Spam....there were just interesting
    • polish furniture
    • steam-proof mirrors
    • fish bait......finally a good use for the stuff!
These are just a quick few of the items listed in this book, I will be reading and taking notes from this one for sure.  If any of you also read it or have suggestions for other product uses let me know and we can make up our own list!




No comments:

Post a Comment